Monday, October 11, 2010

Second Time Movie Review: A Few Good Men (1992)

Now this is a movie which I might end up really watching a zillion times.




Though I am not a big fan of Tom Cruise (and Demi Moore) I still love this movie.

If you closely watch one of the first few scenes where Tom Cruise gets the case from his supervisor. Even a minor inconsequential character like him has been given attention. His character has been thought through and in the few lines given to him the character shows. Not that I suggest you should see this movie for Tom Cruise's supervisor. The point is it is that kind of a movie- made with thought and passion. Each scene to the level of detail of each dialog hasn't been written but beautifully crafted.

My comment about character comes too soon if I were to list down the merits of this film. The main strength of this movie is its story rather than just the characterization. The intensity of the story of this movie builds up in a linear fashion to "the" final scene. A few good men successfully makes the viewer feel the tension of Kathy and joe ann etc. You sympathize with Harold and Downey, you hate Jessup, you mercy Markinson and u understand Jack Ross.

I don't know anything about the United States army but i liked the whole army setup right from the march during the initial casting to the sparkling court rooms etc.

Coming back to the story it is a weak against the strong, sailing against the wind, standing up against adverse circumstances and all such fairy tales. To put it more appropriately it is a fairy tale for adults. A fairy tale which is believable. As soon as Jessup confesses all of us celebrate, we say hurrah and celebrate like kids do.

As with all great repeat watchable movies the fun is maintained in the small things each character says and my favorite is "he really thinks better with the bat".

Whenever I watch this movie I think I understand a thing or two about fighting against odds, taking the hard way out and being an unlikely hero. The idealist in me considers Dawson as his hero and reveres him.

This is definitely an Nth time watch. dont watch it second time but watch it third fourth fifth and any n number of times. I most certainly do love this movie. I hope you share my passion

No comments: