Friday, October 15, 2010

Second Time Movie Review: Sherlock Holmes (2009)

Before discussing this movie I would like to state that I never liked Sherlock Holmes (Stories). The reason is plain and simple - he made a fool of me in every story. I never liked it that he could deduct and I could not. I always came to the obvious conclusion while reading about the case and he would come out with anything but the most obvious.


Now to this movie. I liked the movie right from the first casting scene, where they show the Warner Brothers symbol etched on street bricks. I like the creativity. I assume they actually went ahead and carved those symbols on footpaths and it is not a photoshop trick. The drama grows in the second scene itself when we meet Lord Blackwood. The director creates a sense of eeriness about him with all that chanting and the out of her own sense girl. The brilliance of Sherlock Holmes is on display in the first scene itself. His planning on how to encounter the goon of blackwood- by hitting ears, the belly etc followed by a prognosis is brilliant. The director follows it up with the boxing scene (with wonderful music mind you).

Another aspect well approached in the movie is the friendship of Watson and Sherlock holmes. I always assumed Watson to be a willing second fiddle to Sherlock holmes but here the director shows Watson as a somewhat reluctant and confused  Watson who is played on by Sherlock. Watson is shown to be harrassed though at the same time secretly enjoying the thrills.

Why you should watch this movie again however? I would list down the following in my response:

1. The depiction of an era. Though I have seen a lot of movies depicting England of those days, Sherlock's perspective (commentary) gives a more detailed outlook of those days. Their way of life, eccentricities and beliefs.

2. Music: The background music throughout the film is top notch and well suited to the occasion in consideration. Special mention to the background music while Sherlock Holmes boxes.

3. Story: Though a little far fetched the story is entertaining. Ofcourse Sherlock holmes is the ultimate genius (Yawnnnn). But if you willing to take that in your stride the story is actaully quite good.

4. Characterization: There is depth to characters if you look a little deeper. Sherlock trying to cope with a departing friend. Watson not able to let go. Iren Adler who cant decide if she is good or bad and Professor Moriarity who is extremely manipulative in whatever little we do or do not see of him.

5. Action: Though not a strong point of this movie, the action is entertaining.

A word of caution, rather a disclaimer. Though i recommend a second watch, I dont put this along with a Few good men or Dark knight. This is not a nth time watch in my book

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your marvelous posting! I quite enjoyed
reading it, you will be a great author. I will remember to
bookmark your blog and may come back in the foreseeable future.
I want to encourage one to continue your great posts, have a nice day!


My web blog :: diets that work for women

Anonymous said...

Aw, this was a very nice post. Taking the time and
actual effort to produce a really good article… but what can I
say… I put things off a whole lot and don't seem to get nearly anything done.

Check out my website - waist height ratio